2.10.08

religion and personal beliefs

i've always had a thought in mind that i wondered. it's always on the back of my head and it's about religion.
do you believe that it is right to enforce religion towards a child from birth?
i have noticed that children are told to believe things, is it just to teach them the morals of being a good human?
when i was a child, i went to church with my parents and i remember being afraid of god, i didn't know who he was, i just knew if i did something bad, i would go to hell, and so i was always afraid. i don't think that feeling like that is right for a child, and the purpose of religion isn't to scare people, i think, but is to help them follow the "rules of life" in a right way.
my parents never forced me or any of my siblings to believe in religion or anything like that, it was always a choice, but going to church back when i was a child wasn't really a choice, i just had to go. it's been years now since i've gone to church. personally, i'm not religious, i'm not an athiest, but at the same time, it's difficult for me to believe in something i do not see. i know religion is based on faith, and just plain belief, but so are fairy tales. i don't mean to offend anyone by this post, this is merely my opinion.
another situation that i can think of is a child from a family i know. she is barely a year old and sings religious songs, it's cute and all, but it makes me a little angry for some reason. only because her father is a priest and she comes from a very religious family, it makes think that they are starting the brainwashing nice and early.
i know i sound so pessimistic, but how am i supposed to believe when everything that is good in my life, my family has had work hard to get.
i think religion is okay if it isn't forced upon you, meaning, you don't necessarily have to be the same religion as your mother and father if you aren't happy with it. being born into religion doesn't mean you are of that religion. i think until you are of age to know what you believe, you shouldn't have a religion. am i wrong?
everyone should have the right to explore their surroundings, even when it comes to the choice of faith. there are alot of religions and cultures, in which there is an "expectation" of some sort towards religion. you are either that religion or you are nothing.
what is religion? and does it go too far sometimes? or is okay to teach your children what you believe is right?
xx

s.a

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I completely agree and have often wondered the same thing. It's not fair to force a belief onto a child. In fact, forcing beliefs onto anyone goes against what a belief is. Telling someone they have to think a certain way is so different from believing. Only you, as an individual, can decide what you believe in.

I found this quote interesting too:

"i know i sound so pessimistic, but how am i supposed to believe when everything that is good in my life, my family has had work hard to get."

That's what I don't like about religion. No matter how hard you work to have a good life, religious people will say you did not earn it, but instead, God gave it to you. I takes away all sense of accomplishment. I work damn hard for what I have today, and I won't let anyone else take credit for that.

And it does take faith to believe in something you can not see. But I think faith is preached so much because the church is scared it will lose it's followers if it lets them freely think with reason and realize they are following something when there is no proof of existence.

I can't do it, but I also have nothing against it. To each, his own, I guess.

<3 Sarah

PinkAvocado said...

i agree with you completely, and the last thing you said about everyoe having their own decision at the end of the day, because in reality, it should be like that. it sucks because it isn't always.
but as long as religion is around, there will be some sort of invisible line or seperation.
poop.