20.9.15

Nomad nomad nomad

Nomad: the definition is something along the lines of a professional wanderer. 

I've always seen myself as a nomad. I remember a boy from the same ethnicity as I am told me my last name tells him that I am a gypsy, a nomad. This was over nine years ago and I don't think I will ever forget. I can even hear him saying it. Not because I was offended, but for the first time, it sounded so right. 

I am not of gypsy heritage, and I am in no way trying to be disrespectful towards the people who identify as this. I appreciate every heritage that the world has to offer. I think the beauty in all of us is the past we offer. 

Whenever I am getting close to a new friend, key word: close, I make sure to let them know that I am in no position to judge them of their past; and they are not in any position to judge mine. It is not that our pasts make us ugly. It is that our pasts shouldn't be a topic of embarrassment. Our pasts show the complicated puzzle we are. 

No comments: